Converting from one standard to another
For the last years a number of different content packages have been created in a range of formats. Some of them can be used in Learning content management system, but not all. Now with this tool it's possible to convert the existing content packages and to use them in these LCMS. Here are two tools which will help to convert content packages into another format.
Transcoder for Content Packages
The transcoder is developed by JISC CETIS and enabels converting content packages to another format. It addresses conversions between the most common eLearning content formats in use: IMS Content Packaging 1.1, IMS Content Packaging 1.2, SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, and IMS Common Cartridge 1.0. In the next phase of project we also plan to look at the most frequently used proprietary formats.
At the moment is available conversion of SCORM 1.2(only as a source), SCORM 2004, IMS 1.1 and IMS Common Cartridge 1.0. Transformation for IMS 1.2 will be available in future. Service is under development and testing now.
- Upload zip file
- Unzip files
- Merge metadata if the metadata are in external file and the target format is not Scorm
- Use XSLT stylesheets to transform imsmanifest.xml file
- change metadata elements schema and schemaversion
- convert metadata IMS Metadata, version 1.2.4 to instances of IEEE LOM, version 1.0 and vice versa
- merge submanifests in case of target package is IMS CC
- add/remove appropriate elements/attributes according schema (e.g. scormType) etc.
- Add in the package .xsd schemas according to package version
- In case of conversion SCORM package to IMS we add Single SCO Mini-Runtime by Claude Ostyn. This wrapper emulates the SCORM runtime enviroment.
- In case of conversion IMS package to SCORM we add to each html page initialization SCORM API calls and include APIWrapper.js which is available www.adlnet.gov/scorm
- In case of conversion SCOMR 1.2 package to SCORM 2004 we add Claude's Easy SCO Adapter for SCORM 1.2 to 2004.
- In case of IMS Common Cartridge as source package, we first check whether authorization is required. If yes we reject to transform the package. Web link and forum application object are transformed to html pages.
- For missing references of files that are in the package but not declared in the manifest we add those.
- Zip all files
- Send email to user with link for download the converted package.
For more details see About the Transcoder
Conversion tool Scorm2CC
Scorm2CC is a utility for converting packages of e-learning content from the ADL SCORM Package Interchange File (PIF) format to the IMS Common Cartridge format.
Scorm2CC operates in a batch mode: all SCORM PIF files within a given directory are converted.
Scorm2CC works with SCORM 1.2 and SCORM 2004 PIF files. If the SCORM PIF file contains mulitple organizations, only the default organization is converted.