ASPECT for Teachers and Students
Given that teachers and students should benefit from standards and specifications rather than be concerned with issues related to their implementation and adoption, there are a limited number of general-purpose recommendations, tools, and deliverables produced by ASPECT that might be of interest for them. They are listed below.
However, all the ASPECT recommendations, tools, services, and deliverables aim at making learning easier to discover and use by teachers and students as illustrated by the Learning Resource Exchange portal available at http://lreforschools.eun.org .
The Learning Resource Exchange (LRE) from European Schoolnet (EUN) is a service that enables schools to find educational content from many different countries and providers. It was developed in order to provide Ministries of Education with access to a network of learning content repositories and associated tools that allow them to more easily exchange high quality learning resources that ‘travel well’ and can be used by teachers and students in different countries. The LRE uses the ASPECT tools and implements its best practices.
R-G.1: Use standards and specifications.
There are four core reasons to use standards and specifications:
- They avoid dependency on single vendors (vendor lock-in);
- Their use facilitates interoperability;
- Their use lowers costs by making it possible to build higher-level services on top of proven and standard compliant systems;
- They represent best-practice solutions to known problems even when interoperability is not at issue.
Tools and Services
Learning Technology Standards Observatory LTSO
- URL: http://www.cen-ltso.net
- End users: Anyone interested in Learning Technology Standards and Specifications
- Description: The Learning Technology Standards Observatory (LTSO) is a focal access point to updated information on projects, results, news, organisations, activities and events that are relevant to the development and adoption of e-learning technology standards and specifications. It offers a newsletter service, access to relevant experts and up-to-date information in this field.
- D1.3.2 Final Public Report
- Part of D5.4: Common Cartridge tutorial
- D6.3 Report on summer school
- D6.4 National Validation reports
- D6.5 Final Report on the Experimentation
All these deliverables can be accessed from http://aspect-project.org/node/28 .